Thursday, March 26, 2009

Studio lights and Boken help?

I have a 650 W/S alien Bees light fitted with a brolly box, and 2 100 W/S flash bulbs fitted with umbrellas one shoot through and one silver reflective. Ok I think I know my problem but just want some other suggestions. I want a blured background in my shots but with my lights I am having trouble shooting at 2.8 and shutter 1/200( highest sync speed for my camera). It is still too bright even with my lights at the lowest output. I tried one light, 2 lights and all three varring my setup but I cannot get the results I want. The conclusions I came to was that I need a larger background and need to have my subject further from the background and my camera at like f/11 and 1/125 iso 100. Is there another way to get the boken I want?
Studio lights and Boken help?
How about if you move the light away from the subject?





Other than that, I think a ND (neut. density) filter will certainly cut down the light, so you can use a larger aperture.





(Is there any control on the light source itself?)
Studio lights and Boken help?
Move the light further away from the subject!





Light sources spread out very quickly and intensity diminishes by about 70% each time you double the distance. To get an idea of how effective this is take an exposure with a light source five feet from a subject. Move the light back five feet and take another picture, then compare the settings and the effects.





P.S. The term is Bokeh not Boken.





Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment